Sometimes some things just need to be easy. No sweat. No tears. Just a one trick pony. This Savoury Cottage Cheese Cake exactly that. It’s is less of a recipe and more of a people-are-coming-over-I-need-to-feed-them-but-also-look-fancy type of dish.
Savoury Cottage Cheese Cake
serves 6 (as a starter)
- puff pastry
- poppy seeds
- 1TBS butter, melted
- Bake puff pastry according to the instructions on the packaging
- using a stick blender, blend the pastry until it is a crumb-like texture
- mix in poppy seeds and butter until pastry in coated in butter.
- divide the pastry base between the ramekins and pack tightly using the back of a spoon to smooth down
- bake at 200C for 10mins to set
Red Onion Marmalade
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 close garlic
- 1TBS strawberry preserve (to taste)
- 2tsp rice wine vinegar (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a small pot with red onion. The onions needs to sweat so keep the lid of the pan on while staring at intervals.
- When the onions are soft, add the strawberry preserves and rice wine vinegar with a pinch of salt to taste
- 250ml Lancewood Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- 50g Chevin, black pepper
- 150ml cream
- 1 gelatine sheet (250 bloom)
- soak gelatine leaf in cold water
- heat the cream in a sauce pan. do not let it boil
- Mix the cheeses, season to taste
- Remove cream from heat and add the gelatine leaf using a whisk
- Mix warm cream in with cheese mixture
- allow to set for 4 hours
To serve, spoon on some of the red onion marmalade and enjoy at room temperature.